More tablet/netbook hybrids on the way, but what to call them?

U1_Hero_04_610x447Plenty of hybrid tablet/laptop devices are on their way. Dan Ackerman on CNet reports on four prototypes that were shown at CES—tablets with keyboards that flip out from behind, or slide out of hidden slots, and so on. These could offer the benefit of tablets for easy reading and net surfing, then turn into full-fledged Windows netbooks with keyboards when more physical input is needed.

Ackerman wonders what the best name for such a device would be, however. “What should one call a tablet with a sliding or foldout keyboard? A laptab? A keylet? A tabtop? A keyvertible?”

The manufacturers may well answer this question on their own—perhaps in as many different ways as there are manufacturers. I’d be inclined to suggest “tabbook” or “tabletbook”. But computer manufacturers never ask me these things.

About Chris Meadows (4156 Articles)
TeleRead Editor Chris Meadows has been writing for us--except for a brief interruption--since 2006. Son of two librarians, he has worked on a third-party help line for Best Buy and holds degrees in computer science and communications. He clearly personifies TeleRead's motto: "For geeks who love books--and book-lovers who love gadgets." Chris lives in Indianapolis and is active in the gamer community.

5 Comments on More tablet/netbook hybrids on the way, but what to call them?

  1. Taplets.

    (Royalty check writers can contact me via Right Brane ePublications.)

  2. HandheldPC Pro.
    HSN specials.

  3. Lapbooks? Tablapbooktops?

    La Tableh…

  4. They are still Netbooks …. look at them. Trying to camouflage themselves as tablets to look cool.

    Netbooks they remain.

  5. i will call it a Twister….!!!!

The TeleRead community values your civil and thoughtful comments. We use a cache, so expect a delay. Problems? E-mail

wordpress analytics