Note that these same instructions will work for a Nook or other ePub reader, not just a Kobo. I’m just using a Kobo for this example.
Before you follow the steps in my post, you’ll need to authorize both your computer with Adobe Digital Editions using the instructions in the above link. Then you are ready to check out Overdrive library books on a Kobo ereader (or other ePub-compatible reader). If you have a Kindle reader, check out this post for instructions for your device.
1. Find the book you want to check out and verify there is an ePub version. Most books will have ePub as an option, unless you’re using a smaller library which hasn’t updated their collection of older PDF books.
Apologies for using a different book for the above screenshot than for the rest of the post. Guess who forgot to create a screenshot of the first step?
2. Once you have Borrowed the book, Overdrive will take you to your library where you will select format. Select ePub eBook and Confirm & Download.
3. Once you click “Confirm & Download,” your book will be downloaded and Adobe Digital Editions will open up to your Library.
4. Make sure your ereader is plugged into your computer.
5. If you’ve never authorized this particular ereader, you’ll do it now by selecting the Settings gear icon and tapping “Authorize Device.” It’s grayed out in my computer because I’ve already authorized this Kobo reader.
6. Finally, you’ll transfer the book to your device by right-clicking on the desired book in your library and selecting Copy to Computer/Device–>Your reader (in my case, Kobo Reader)
And that’s it. Your book is loaded and ready to read. Enjoy!