The latest settlement conference for the Google Books affair was held a few days ago, Reuters reports. Apparently, not much actually happened there apart from all sides asking the judge to give them still more time to prepare.
"The parties are still considering what options are available," and everything "is on the table," Bruce Keller, a partner at Debevoise & Plimpton, who represents publishers in the settlement, said at a hearing before Circuit Judge Denny Chin in Manhattan federal court.
As we reported back in March, Judge Chin rejected the most recent settlement proposal, feeling it went too far in the concessions that it granted to Google. Apparently the 2 1/2 months that have gone by since then have not been sufficient for all sides to come up with a new proposal yet, so the judge has granted them seven more weeks. The next meeting will be on July 19.
So here we are, six years and counting since the original lawsuit. Google has had plenty of time to scan books and build its library, and publishers have had plenty of time to get annoyed about it. Some have said that Congress would be a more sensible place to impress the orphan work issue, but there have been no serious efforts in that direction to come out of Congress yet. It is anybody’s guess just how much time will go by before this issue is actually resolved.